So this past weekend everyone traveled to either Morrocco Africa or somewhere else in Europe. This means I was left to wonder around Sevilla on my own. I must say it was quite the experience. One, I was forced to speak spanish more because my english friends couldn't bail me out. Therefore I learned to speak spanish more fluently this weekend than any other time during my stay. Two, I found numerous new places to eat, drink, and shop. Que bueno!
So, On friday I decided to visit Factory. This is the name of an outlet mall that is close to the airport in Sevilla. To get there I caught a free bus that picks shoppers up and takes them to the outlet mall. I took a cab to the bus stop because I had no idea where it was and I had heard that it was far. So my first spanish practice session was with the cab driver. He was very nice and helped to correct my spanish. He was also ecstatic that I was from Florida because he had vacationed in Miami recently (as all spaniards have done once they find out I am from Florida, lol).
Next, I get on the bus and sit in the middle in order to eaves drop on everyones conversation. Unfortunately, I couldnt fully comprehend the stories. But, I did pick certain frases that I had learned in class. Frases such as " ha dicho que." Anyway, we arrive to the Factory. YAY!

So I was able to shop around and purchase pieces of clothing for like 3 euro or 6 euro. These were items from name brand stores and in great condition! Why didn't I come here first. Then came the bus ride home. As i am sitting on the bus I realize that I can't recognize the stop that I got on the bus at. Oh NO! So after a while I say to the drive " Yo necesito salir a el estacion cerca de Hotel Occidental." He proceeds to tell me that we passed that stop a while ago and that I need to get off because this is the last stop and the bus is closed. Eeek!
As I exit the bus I realize that I have no clue where I am! Then a "shining light" appears in the form of the University of Sevilla banner. I soon realize that this stop is closer to my house than the stop I paid the cab to take me too! (shakin my head) So lesson for this weekend, there is a stop for shopping that I can walk to and not have to pay a cabbie. Que Excellente!
Let's proceed to the following day. So, my need to continue exploring returns when I wake up in the morning. Asi, yo tenia desyunar con mi madre en la manana. Proximo, yo fui a correr por el rio. El rio esta muy bonita y hice bien tiempo en el sabado pasado.
Later that evening, I went for another wander excursion this time with my camera. I realized that I had a bunch of pictures of me in Sevilla, but no pictures of Sevilla itself.
A funny story that night, as I was attempting to photograph a beautiful Sevillan building these guys ( who were clearly enjoying their drinks) asked to be in the picture. So for jokes I said sure and proceeded to take the picture. Then they started screaming " No No No! You have to be in it with us!" Oh man! At first I was a little hesitant. I didn't know these guys and what if the one taking the picture tried to run off with my camera. Then I realized, " Seriously Mone, he's tipsy. How far will he really be able to run with me chasing him?" So, I got in on the pic and it was fun. Check it out!
OK, So, the highlight of my night is that I found out there is a FULL BAR STAND less than five minutes away from my house. It is located on the side of a major highway and somewhat next to the river. ( By the way, I am well over 21 and very mature and GROWN, so please spare me the frowns regarding my drinking. I am not encouraging anyone to drink. This is just something that I do. Thanks!) The best part is the music that they were playing was awesome. I heard some Sean Paul and TI for the first time in a long while. And the warm weather, small crowd of people my age socializing, and the view of the river made me sit down and sip on a mojito and just relax. It was great.

Well, Sunday was a relax day where I sat by the river again and watched the rowers, kayakers, paddleboaters, and every one else in Sevilla walk by. I literally mean everyone. The tradition here seems to be that on Sundays you get dressed up and walk by the river. It's kind of cute to see the older couples where the husband is leading his wife on a slow walk and she is letting him. they are so cute!
Hope you enjoyed my weekend. I did!
Hasta Luego chicos!
I think it is a great experience to go the different countries and experience another culture than your own. The Air Force has afforded me such an opportunity to experience this. I have traveled to countries including Africa, Japan, Guam, Germany, and many more!! Mone I hope to see you in Germany around Christmas.
ReplyDeleteIn the past...studying abroad was an elitist pursuit...requiring substantial financial backing. The Internet,affordable airfares and homestays...have made it more accessible to all...Hence,your generation is now "The Globalist Generation" Keep putting the word out there...It will catch on quickly, and global travel will become like interstate travel.
ReplyDelete